Monday, March 17, 2008

I Am Not A Doll

After spying these delicious finds on ETSY, I spoke with the designer, a local graphic design student who is already five steps ahead of her game...

Meagan, how would you describe your style? Fun, cute and pixellated.
What inspires or influences your work? Old school video games, polaroid cameras, tattoos, British TV shows, violence (but only the dodgy horror film kind), coffee, juvenile delinquency (think fireworks and stormwater drains), driving at night, parks and swings, haiku, Russia, giant Mecha robots, anything written by Chuck Palahniuk, hanging out playing Nintendo, colours and conflict.

And where do all of these little characters come from? The characters come from everywhere! A lot of theme are horribly stereotypical, like the pirate and the ninja and the mad scientist, and some are just original characters thart aren't based on anything. They were part of my graduating exhibition at CIT last year. My piece included about eighty of these characters... it was like a little pixel army.
Tell us about iamnotadoll. The phrase "I am not a doll" comes from the Neon Genesis Evangelion, an anime series that aired on SBS in the late 1990s. The character that says it speaks in a very monotonous, robotic tone. I love the way it sounds. Eventually I want to get into fashion design, and that's always what I've wanted to call my label.
I'm doing and Advanced dip of Graphic design at CIT... I'll probably stick around and go on to Fashion or Photography.

I started making stationery only a few months ago. I have a shockingly short attention span, and I'm always starting things that never get finished. I also knit (horribly), paint, draw (usually on something I'm not supposed to draw on), construct palatial cages for my pet rats, and also dabble in a bit of bookbinding.
What would you like to see in the future for your work? I'd love to run my own label one day, and do everything from clothing to graphic design and photography. I want people to look at my work and know, just by a glance, that it's mine.

Visit the i am not a doll ETSY site to buy her very beautiful stationery, and Meagan's new Blog for more of her unique style.

No comments: