Thursday, September 11, 2008

DFO: the crush, the shoes, the sore sore feet

So, DFO.

After a lengthy wait to get through the doors last night it was shopping mayhem among the throng of sticky beaks and hardcore bargain hunters, the first inside Canberra's newest outlet shopping centre DFO. A host of brands completely new to the Canberra market is a welcome introduction and seemed to be well received with registers ka-chinging all around. Many of the stores were hard to move around in earlier on in the evening, with some customers queing like it was christmas eve's frenzy.

I'm enjoying the mix of fashion here, fantastic to see Canberra stores for Kate Hill, Steve Madden, Morrisey and Table 8. And the shoe fetish will be well catered for at the many fabulous shoe stores, Steve Madden, Tony Bianco, Dianna Ferrari, Sandler, Innui and Rubi shoes, plus one to drag the kids back for, Shoes & Sox .

I'll be back for a visit when the novelty wears off a little, but, it's not all drop dead bargainous pricing, but the brands which will have me coming back. Plenty more to see with quite a few stores yet to open and the food court not making it's public appearance yet (curiously shrouded off as the VIP dance party) and no sign of the Homemaker Hub.

And the obvious question, is it better than Brand Depot? It's about the same size as BD and the same layout, but with a better mix of fashion. The collection of new brands certainly appeal, but is it just novelty love? I enjoy Brand Depot for it's kid-friendliness, but so many of the stores don't interest me. Kid friendliness is yet to be demonstrated at DFO, another visit will just have to be made... I'll let you know!

But right now, I need a good lie down, I'm all shopped out!
Love Nina x

Leave your comment to tell us what you thought of DFO.

13 comments:

Claire said...

I'm intrigued! And I need a good shopping day. Will have to hot-foot it down there!

Enny said...

I loved it!

It has good quality brand products (unlike the Depot) and it's a good size - will be even better when more stores open (and the food court! I was so hungry!!!).

m1k1 said...

How do other smaller retailers feel about there being 2 "factory outlets" in what is a relatively small market? Have you had any feedback?

Anonymous said...

I must add that as a manager of a one only store in Canberra, DFO is a little scarey for me due to the amount of customers it will atract. As said though the novelty will wear off and it will just end up as another shopping hub for fashion bargin hunters. I myself will be heading out to have a sticky beack this weekend - may be my only chance for a few months

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to check it out! had invies, but was so tierd last night I would't have dealt

JustJess said...

Lack of coffee options was exhausting! We had a ball, but we were looking for shoes and linen (Sheridan have some lovely bargains at 70% off, especially for king-sized beds), and both are very well represented there. I agree that not much for kids... Will see when all stores open. Was Smiggle open? Missed it if it was...

Smaggle said...

I think DFO is WAAAAAAY better than Brand Depo. Tell me, why do we need an outlet store for Tempt and Valley Girl? DFO all the way...
Oh by the way I'll be wearing a cream trapeze coat tomorrow morning! :-)
It's almost like a blind date!

Anonymous said...

I too joined the madding crowd to check out the opening night. I was hoping to get some bargains for my tweenage sons but I was pretty disappointed on that front. Cotton On Kids is too small for my lot and the Kid Central wasn't open yet. I consoled myself by looking for a new pair of jeans and was lucky to find a pair for $40. I was shocked to find my size was the largest in the shop (I'm usually a size 12 ...and, ok, I suppose I do have a bit of extra winter fat but has it really come to this?) It wasn't until I got home that I discovered I had bought my jeans from a place called "Frat House". Ha! The joke is on me.
P.S. Found some things for my boys at Brand Depot today. It gets my vote.

Anonymous said...

I thought DFO was just full of old stock marked at full price then marked down to the % off. At least at Brand Depot has current season stock at great prices. I love Depot!

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed with DFO i expected bigger and better... i think it will slow down retail in other shopping outlets but after two weeks hopefully everyone will be over it and go back to shopping for current season stock :)

Anonymous said...

I went on the Thursday night, got my free calico shopping bag and the toiletry wallet. Even got a glass of champagne. I think the bargains were pretty good. I can see people from the Canberra surrounds like Goulburn, Wagga Wagga or Yass coming to Canberra to shop there, so there is a bigger market for DFO than just Canberra. Brand Depot should do ok, Baby's R Us will be opening there late this year. Loads of mums will go there to shop, especially coming up to Christmas. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's fantastic that Canberra now has a DFO - congratulations! :)

Anonymous said...

But where are all the outlets we REALLY want, like Country Road, David Lawrence, Jigsaw, Oroton, Witchery, etc? Are they the ones that are going to magically appear in the empty spaces on the centre map, hopefully before Christmas?