We are from Sydney and are coming to Canberra to see the Degas exhibition and I was wondering if you could let me know anywhere else we must go to (on a Sunday) with 3 girls (ages 7 – 13). places to stay overnight – bookshops – places to eat – shops - other places we must visit/see – LOVE to hear your top picks, Thank you. I appreciate it! - Louise
1. For the first time audiences in Australia have the opportunity to see an exhibition devoted to one of the most significant and admired French artists of the nineteenth century, Edgar Degas. In it's world tour, The National Gallery of Australia in Canberra will be it's only Australian exhibition and it's surely not to be missed.
2. After the Gallery, you could check out the new National Portrait Gallery next door which is already established as a must visit. (Above right).
3. A wander from there through reconciliation place, enjoy the vistas and end up at Old Parliament House, enjoy the beautiful architecture, gardens and stop in at the Ginger Room for coffee and cake.
4. If you're heading into the city (civic), the new North Quarter of the Canberra Centre and nearby Garema Place are good for a browse and a choice of great places to eat, but one of Canberra's institutions is Gus' Cafe, and you can get a pretty great hot chocolate at Koko Black.
5. Some of my favourite shops are on Lonsdale st in Braddon, a must visit if you need some retail therapy. Check out the Hive Gallery, Little Owl, Unit Concepts, Bourgeois Pig and Pink Inc. Oooh yeah!
6. Could be nice to head over to Manuka (pron: Maah-nicka) for a wander around the block. Lots of great little shops and arcades, and a perfect bookstore, Paperchain. Loads of restaurants to choose from here too, my fave right now, Mecca Bah.
7. Ready to collapse yet? 2 gorgeous new hotels have landed in Canberra and both are beautifully designed, Hotel Realm in Barton, and Diamant Hotel in Acton. Both have restaurants and fab spas etc, although you may be swayed by the high tea put on by Du Jour restaurant (with a gorgeous courtayard) at the Diamant.
This Sunday afternoon though, I'll be at Canberra's Thoroughbred Park to judge the Preview day Junior Fashions on the Field. Maybe I'll see you there?
If you have any other suggestions for Louise and her family, please leave a comment below, and have a fabulous weekend!
Love Nina x