Wednesday, May 28, 2008

LOVING: Polka Luka

I was crushed last year when home commitments kept me away from the launch of a new Canberran jewellery designer whose work I absolutely adore, imagine my glee when a message from Alexandra Freeman herself was waiting in my inbox when I returned home from my 'holiday'... so now I'm so glad to show you...


Now relocated to costal NSW, the designer of Polka Luka Australian jewellery and clothing design label, grew up and studied in Canberra and launched her faaabulous wares in 2007 at the Front Gallery. Alexandra's work focuses on creating a cohesive range of designs that are both contemporary, timeless, and delicious. "Beyond fleeting notions of trend based fashion, Polka Luka aims to create designs which are effortless and simple – luminous, affordable, and wearable pieces for women."

Alexandra spent four years living in rural China and traveled through South East Asia, where she was engaged in cultural conservation work. During this time, she was exposed to the unique craft and artisan techniques- the embroidery and weaving of people living in this area and the simple functionality of traditional clothing. Having already achieved qualifications in Textiles, a love of costume, colour, and design encouraged Alexandra to continue studies in garment construction and jewellery design in 2003, and in 2006, Alexandra jumped in full time to design, launching the first Polka Luka range in 2007.


Polka Luka is stocked at the National Gallery of Australia Shop and The Terrace Interiors (Kingston).
Check out the full range on the
Polka Luka website.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh hooray! This is exactly the kind of jewellery I've been hankering for lately!

Anonymous said...

I saw some of her work at the Oxfam Christmas fete last year (at Albert Hall).

Beautiful...

I dropped strong hints to my bf that I'd love something for Christmas, but it didn't happen... Maybe it's time I bought myself a piece :)