Friday, January 18, 2008

Hot Metal: Nephilim Jewellery

For a newcomer to the art of metalsmithing, the creator of Nephilim jewellery is a talent to behold. I asked Pinky the burning questions about her very beautiful art...

Bonsai pendant

How would you describe your personal style?

"I would probably best describe my personal style as multi-genre or culturally eclectic. Many different cultures and sub-cultures influence my designs, just as they influence my everyday life. I take inspiration from many styles and I like to incorporate them into pieces I create that appeal to me and hopefully others."

Wave pendant

Who or what influences your work?

"I find inspiration all around me - in nature, engineering papers, different cultures and sub-cultures, sci-fi and fantasy books. I love being able to fuse organic designs and ideas into somewhat industrial metalwork and create pieces of wearable art that are tangible and tactile. I think this is why etching is one of my favourite techniques at the moment - you can appreciate the patterns with your eyes and your fingertips too."

Koi Lariat with bubbles; Blossom earrings

How long have you been making jewellery?
"I started silversmithing 9 months ago. I fell in love with metal, discovering my appreciation for the aesthetic, and have been at the bench ever since - experimenting, learning and creating."


The making of a Maple Leaf etch pendant
Where can we buy your jewellery?

"At present, the only place where my jewellery is available is on my Etsy store and on my website."

Star shower necklace
What do you hope for in the future, in terms of your work?
"In future, I hope to see my work grow and evolve as I continually learn and incorporate new techniques into my pieces. In future, I hope I will be able to reach a larger audience through brick and mortar stores. It would be a dream to be able to walk into a store and see my work in there one day!"

No comments: